Giving a gift can be as simple as sharing a kind word, a smile, or doing a favor. Giving a physical item or an experience as a gift is a way to connect with one another. Each time someone uses a gift or remembers the experience given to them, they think fondly of the one who gave them the gift! Gift giving can between family and friends, between employer and employee, for clients, customers, as well as many other ways of exchanging tangible or intangible items between each other for various reasons.
Purchasing gifts is also a way to support small businesses, artists, or companies that you highly value. Some retailers help to support charities or nonprofit organizations, so your purchase goes towards supporting a good cause as well as buying a great gift! For example:
- Rodan + Fields, the company whose skincare products I distribute that is ranked the #1 skincare brand in the U.S. in 2016 and the fastest growing skincare brand in the U.S. over the past 6 years (Source: Euromonitor International), has a philanthropic foundation, the Prescription for Change® Foundation, whose mission is to serve youth with life-changing empowerment programs where they live.
- Misty River Garden, an online secondhand goods retailer, donates 10% of the sale price of each item to nonprofit organizations. Check out the online item listings for more information.
- Jillian Regan Photography donates 10% of profits from each of 3 online retail stores to nonprofit organizations.
While this gift guide provides inspiration and a variety of creative gift ideas for physical gifts to give, in no way do I mean to undervalue the importance of the intangible gifts one can give such as love, compassion, spending time with one another, or simply making someone’s day brighter by saying hello and holding the door open for them. Give these intangible gifts as often as possible!
Links to items featured in the photo above:
- Rodan + Fields Soothe Mineral Sunscreen
- Rodan + Fields Essentials SPF 30 Sunscreen
- Rodan + Fields Bright Eye Complex
- Flowers in a Row Studio Pouch from Jillian Regan Photography’s Redbubble store
General Tips For Gift Giving
Knowing what the person actually likes, wants, or needs (not just what you think they would want or need) will help you give them a gift that they will absolutely love.
- If you’re not sure, ask them!
- If you’re worried about ruining the surprise, then do it subtly: not asking directly about a specific item, but maybe general questions, such as their favorite sport, that could give you ideas of what kind of gift they would like
- Or if you have a lot of people to give gifts to, such as a big family, keep track of who likes what by writing notes about what they like –in a notebook, in a note taking app on your phone, a Google doc, etc– when they tell you they like something so you can easily refer back to your list when shopping for gifts.
When looking for a gift for someone whom you don’t know very well:
- Have ideas for gifts or keep a stock of gifts on hand that would work for people with multiple interests, can ensure you give them something that they would love as well!
- Things like skin care products, mugs, stuff to put stuff in (bags, purses, pretty bowls or jars, etc.) appeal to most people
Also, consider packaging, not just the wrapping paper on gift bag that you are going to use, but the actual packaging of the product.
- Products that have great design of their packaging can really add to the enjoyment of opening the gift!
- For example all of Rodan + Fields skincare regimens (sets of products including a face wash moisturizer, toner, treatment cream) come in beautifully packaged boxes with tissue paper, it’s like opening a present with just the box itself! The shape and design of the containers is beautifully done as well, see the below photo of Rodan + Fields Reverse Brightening regimen.
For the Techie
Gifts for those who love technology don’t always have to break the bank for the high priced, newest gadget. There are plenty of other things to give them they will enjoy just as much!
Phone cases or skins
If it’s not time for a new phone yet, what about a new phone case or a phone skin (vinyl stick on) with a beautiful photo or design to put on top of the current phone case! Add an additional item to the gift that they would enjoy or find to be useful, like this Rodan + Fields Soothe Mineral Sunscreen. Even better if the additional item matches the color in the design of the phone case or cover!
External hard drive
While not as exciting as a new iPad or new techie device, giving an external hard drive is an amazing gift to give! Backing up important files and photos to an external hard drive is essential yet not something that everyone is good at remembering to do! External hard drives come with all different kinds of storage capacity, features as well as fun colors to fit every style! Pair the external hard drive with Rodan + Fields products in matching colors! Help them improve their skin and feel confident and comfortable enough to get out from behind the screens of their electronic devices sometimes and go enjoy life!
Products featured in the photo below:
- Rodan + Fields Unblemish Acne Treatment Sulfur Wash
- Rodan + Fields Unblemish Clarifying Toner
- Rodan + Fields Unblemish Dual Intensive Acne Treatment
- Rodan + Fields Unblemish Oil Control Lotion (SPF 20)
- Rodan + Fields Lash Boost
- Rodan + Fields Bright Eye Complex
- Rodan + Fields Active Hydration Serum
- WD My Passport Drive in purple/pink
For Those Who Love to Sparkle and Shine
Jewelry, such as earrings, can be great to pair with a nice eye cream, such as Rodan + Fields Bright Eye Complex. A new pair of earrings will add to their look and get them excited to get ready in the morning! Adding Rodan + Fields Bright Eye complex that reduces the appearance of puffiness, dark circles, and dullness under the eyes will get them even more excited to get ready every morning!
For the Sports Enthusiast
For the sports enthusiast, try pairing a new sports ball for their favorite sport, like this volleyball, with sunscreen, like this Rodan + Fields Essentials Sunscreen (SPF 30 + Water resistant up to 40 minutes), so they can protect their skin from sun damage while outdoors enjoying their favorite sport!
Giving the gift of a sports ball instead of a sports jersey can help encourage them to be more active by going outside and playing the sport–or at least just tossing, kicking, or throwing the ball around–instead of sitting on the couch watching the sports games on TV!
If the sports enthusiast on your gift list already has plenty of sunscreen (lightweight non greasy SPF 30, broad spectrum, water resistant sunscreen that moisturizes the skin at the same time it protects it like Rodan + Fields Essentials sunscreen) then instead give them products that enhance the appearance of their eye lashes (Lash Boost), hydrates the skin to make it appear softer and smoother (Active Hydration Serum), or reduces the appearance of puffiness and dark circles under the eyes (Bright Eye Complex) to get them even more excited about playing with their new sports ball outside!
Clothing items worn to play or participate in their favorite sport or physical activity paired with another small item that they would also like can also be a great gift for the sport enthusiast!
- For example, for horseback riders, a new pair of riding pants / breeches with other small items makes a great gift.
- Another example: for horseback riders who may already have plenty of riding pants, a polo shirt would also be a great gift! Pair it with a small bag, like this Flowers in a Row studio pouch from Jillian Regan Photography’s Redbubble store, for them to have a place to keep small accessories. Add a few other small items that they would love, such as Rodan + Fields Bright Eye Complex, Rodan + Fields Soothe Mineral Sunscreen, and Rodan + Fields Essentials SPF 30 Sunscreen!
For Those Into Photography
You want to get them something photography related, but you might not know a whole lot about cameras or camera gear or even what type of camera they already have!
- A great idea is to get them some photography gear that is useful and works with any type of camera, such as a tripod.
- Adding an item in a color that matches the tripod and is bright and shiny (photographers like shiny objects) as well as useful, like this Rodan + Fields Bright Eye Complex will totally make their day!
- Rodan + Fields Bright Eye Complex is an eye cream that reduces the appearance of dark circles, puffiness and overall dullness around the eyes…very useful for any photographer or photography enthusiast who tends to stay up late at night editing their photos or doing some night photography!
Practical Gift Ideas
Gloves are a very practical gift, especially in the colder months, or for people who work outside doing things like gardening that would be nice to have some hand protection for. Add another small item that they would have practical use for, such as sunscreen or eye cream. Show below are Rodan + Fields Essentials SPF 30 Sunscreen, Rodan + Fields Soothe Mineral Sunscreen, and Rodan + Fields Bright Eye Complex.
Boots are another practical gift, especially for the colder months or for those who do activities that require boots, such as horseback riding. Add a few small items that will be just as practical, like the Rodan + Fields skincare products shown in the photo below! Ask me for suggestions of what other kinds of skincare products would be also be great to include! (Email: Jillian.Regan@JillYIan.com)
If you know that someone else is giving them boots, another practical gift to give to go with the boots, is accessories for boots, such as boot jacks, boot pulls, or items to clean the boots with. Add some Rodan + Fields skincare products to really make your gift practical and awesome!
For Those Interested in Fitness
Pair fitness equipment, like the different kinds of resistance bands in the photos below, with matching, well packaged gifts like these Rodan + Fields skin care products! Including skin care products helps them to further their journey to looking and feeling their best self!
For Coffee + Tea Drinkers + Always On the Go People
Including a beautifully designed, yet practical travel mug is perfect for those who love to drink coffee, tea, or are always on the go. Important things to look for are a spill proof lid, good insulation (keeps hot drinks hot and cold drinks cold), as well as design that when they look at it will bring a smile to their face. This Metal Travel Mug with Above the Clouds Design from Jillian Regan Photography’s Society6 store fits the description perfectly!
Pair the travel mug with Rodan + Fields Bright Eye Complex to give them brighter eyes that appear well rested, no matter how little sleep they may have gotten the night before!
For those who also love photography, add a tripod to the gift to add something else that they will find quite useful!
Or add some Rodan + Fields Essentials SPF 30 Sunscreen (for the body) and Soothe Mineral Sunscreen (for the face) to the Travel Mug and Bright Eye Complex so they’ll have a set of on the go skin essentials to go with their busy lifestyle!
For Those with Pets
Get the pet parent something for their precious fur baby as well as something for themselves! For instance, if they own a horse, a gift of a new bridle for their horse can be combined with a gift for themselves, such as Rodan + Fields Bright Eye Complex. Animal lovers can rest assured that none of the Rodan + Fields products are tested on animals. In fact some of the Rodan + Fields products even qualify as vegan!
For the Bicyclist
Bicycle accessories, like a new bike rack, a new reflective, flashing light or new bell can be great gifts for the avid bicyclist! Pair the bicycle accessory with something they will find as equally as useful, like Rodan + Fields Essentials SPF 30 Sunscreen. Bonus points on the awesome gift giving scale if the colors of the bike accessories and other products match or complement the colors of the bicycle!
Safety Conscious Gift Ideas
Helmets, specific to the sport that they participate it , such as this horseback riding helmet, can save lives as well as reduce the severity of head injuries from falls!
- Protect their skin from sun damage as well as their head by pairing a helmet with at least SPF 30, Broad Spectrum (protects against both UVA & UVB rays) sunscreen, like Rodan + Fields Essentials Sunscreen.
Sunglasses help protect eyes from bright light as well as help to prevent people from squinting which can lead to developing quite noticeable lines around the eyes called “crow’s feet”.
Help to prevent this by giving them a nice pair of sunglasses that they would love to wear! If they like sparkly objects, maybe some sunglasses with rhinestones around the edges like the ones in the photo below would be great for them. If they prefer a sportier look, then give them sports style sunglasses.
- Pair the sunglasses with another item that they would find useful to make the gift even more awesome!
- For example if they’ve had a lot of sun damage to their skin from not wearing sunscreen, then skincare products that help to reduce discoloration, dark spots, dullness, or uneven skin tone such as either of Rodan + Fields Reverse regimens (Reverse Brightening or Reverse Lightening) would be perfect for them!
- Ask me if Reverse Brightening or Reverse Lightening would be best for you or for the person you want to give a gift to. (Email: Jillian.Regan@JillYIan.com)
For those who love to read
Of course books are a great gift for anyone who loves to read, but everyone else giving them a gift is probably going to also give them a book. Here’s a few ideas for how to give a bookworm a gift they will love and is probably not the exact same gift someone else is giving them!
Books that give back to charities or nonprofits that the person receiving the gift would want to support and pairing the books with another item.
- For example, for someone who likes horses, these books with proceeds going to the Corolla Wild Horse Fund bought from the gift shop at the Corolla Wild Horse Fund in Corolla, NC, and paired with Rodan + Fields products: Bright Eye Complex, Lash Boost, and Active Hydration Serum make an excellent gift.
New books that just came out on topics that they would find interesting paired with other items also make great gifts!
- For example, Called to Create by Jordan Raynor was just released for sales bookstores and online earlier this month and this book would appeal to those interested in topics combining Christian faith and entrepreneurship.
- Adding a set of matching, beautifully designed items like these Rodan + Fields products: Lash Boost, Bright Eye Complex, and Active Hydration Serum will help to get soft glowing skin, brighter and younger looking eyes, and darker, fuller looking eyelashes while they enjoy their new book!
Gifts to Go Along with a New Car
Having a small little gift to hand over with the keys to the new car or other vehicle, can really make the gift one to remember!
New silver car? How about a new eye cream in a silver tube to match it?!
Or how about some sunscreen to prevent sunburn and sun damaged skin while driving the new car around? And don’t forget the travel mug with a spill proof lid so they don’t spill their coffee or tea all over their new car!
For Those Last Minute Gifts (or Gifts for People You’re Not Sure What to Give )
Electronic gift cards are the best! For those last minute gifts or for gifts for people whom you’re not sure what they would like, electronic gift cards are the way to go!
Most retailers offer gift cards, and many now offer electronic gift cards as well. Some of the electronic gift cards are custom designed by the retailer and just as cute as the paper or plastic gift card you would buy in store.
Plus e-gift cards save paper and plastic, so if you’re concerned with reducing waste, e-gift cards are perfect for you!
Give the gift of glowing skin with an electronic gift card from Jill + Ian!
I hope this gift guide gave you some insights, inspiration, and ideas for gifts!
I’d love to hear what you think about these gift ideas or if you have any creative gift ideas you want to share!